Do these nine things and your workplace conversations will be better
Having spent years organising, running and evaluating thousands of research conversations, we have learnt a thing or two about how to ensure all your workplace conversations are connected, efficient, useful and even joyful!
- Build rapport quickly with the people in the real or virtual room. Be warm and be kind.
- Walk or click into that room with an intention or hypotheses about what you are going to conclude.
- Practice active listening so that you really hear.
- If you are asking questions, talk less.
- The answers you are looking for don’t always come in words.
- If you need more explanation, say, ‘tell me more about that please’?
- Mark the parts of the conversation that you think are interesting in that moment so you don’t miss them.
- Evaluate the data after the conversation is over, keep open to learning during it.
- Make notes & give out actions immediately as the conversation finishes.